Thursday, March 31, 2011

Beneath the Cross


The Blessed Mother had to bear the pain of seeing her only Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ beaten, stripped, mocked, and nailed to a Cross.  One of the most touching scenes in The Passion of the Christ, was Mary trying to get through the crowds to her son and seeing him fall.  She flashed back to when a young Jesus was running and fell.  This time she couldn't just kiss His boo boo's. She had to endure the road with Him, and stand at the foot of His Cross, watching and feeling the blood trickle down.  

When Jesus was dying on the Cross, He spoke to His Mother
and His beloved friend, John.
"Woman behold thy son.  Son behold thy Mother."

Jesus gave the Church a Loving Mother.

Jesus gave me a Loving Mother.

I made a Consecration to Our Blessed Mother many years ago.
Mary taught me how to stand below the Cross.  She was standing right there beside me as I stood beneath the Cross,
 when I awoke one morning, with blood flowing down.
She was there with me when the doctor
could not find Annie's heartbeat.
She was born still at 24 weeks. 
Just the week before we were in the same room, 
on that same screen, we looked in awe
as we caught a glimpse of our little Annie sucking her thumb.
How could this be happening?  
Was I being punished for one mistake?
How was I going to say Goodbye,
when I didn't get to say Hello?
This is not the plans I had in mind.  
Somehow, I knew that I could rest under her mantle. 
She understood.  She knew my pain. 
What was the first thing that she did
after they took Jesus down from the Holy Cross?
They placed Him in her arms.
Just as they did when Jesus was born.
That is what all Mother's want.

From the Annunciation to the Crucifixion 
Mary was there.



       

2 comments: